Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Rastafari: Boboshanti

The book does a good job of depicting what the actual video footage of a Rastafarian village shows us. The video helped me to put the specific readings into order. Clearly, there were many symbols that could be recognized based on the books description: Ethiopian colors (red, yellow, green), dreadlocks, Bible verses posted outside on trees and such, and their cause: to go to Africa. A person in the video mentioned that Jamaica was not Africa, but they had to make due with what they had.

The video showed no clips of anyone smoking marijuana. In fact, the video elaborated on their daily rituals and referred to the Boboshanti as a "spiritual cult". I was very surprised to see how much of their life is spent worshiping whether it's waking up at 3am, wearing an "R" for righteousness, or keeping the "fire of life" lit, I was intrigued by the structure since so far I have only seen Bob Marley and his promotion of marijuana as a tool to free your mind.

Although the book talked about the purpose of wearing dreadlocks, it has not mentioned the purpose of wearing a turban like a crown because it is the ancient dressing of an Ethiopian. I also noticed the "patois plus" that was discussed in class was not as prominent in the people who were interviewed. I heard some "ini"but otherwise heard pretty clear English.

I did not come to class having and image of a Rasta, since that is not a religion I am familiar with. Although at the end of our last class I was told that Rastas do not have jobs, especially jobs that are apart of society (like a 9-5 job); this led to the conclusion that most Rastas are apart of the Black Market and sell drugs. I do not agree with this generalization and I do not think it is right for us to make such a generalization. After speaking with a few of my Jamaican friends, who have lived among or observed an actual Rasta village, they tell me that many Rastas have jobs such as selling brooms (like in the movie), selling coconuts, carving figurines out of wood, etc. These jobs are not only common among the Rastas, but also common for the general public who all live in a 3rd World Country. This video has solidified my opinion of the Rastafarian religion as being a legitimate religion that stays true to Geertz's definition.

1 comment:

Kwasi Abahu said...

Well Princess I was impressed by your overall understanding of the Bobo livity. While herb is a accepted sacrament it is not a necessity and you will often find many Ras in any mansion who don't imbibe often or at all. But we will all defend it to the bitter end. Also about the jobs; it's not that we especially Bobo don't or won't work, but it is a principle not to work for Babylon. I myself have owned several business' that were just as any other. I drive trucks and currently own a trucking brokerage. We are adaptable and can do anything but choose not to free associate with certain other principles and ideals. Have no idea how long ago this post was but just a hail you up said way.